Cover Letter

Dear Portfolio Readers:

English was never my favorite subject nor my strongest; I have always preferred math. When I was told that I had to sign up for an English course this semester I instantly felt bothered by it. I understood that I was immediately going to be required to write countless essays. When the professor went over the syllabus and said we were required to construct a portfolio, I wanted to drop the class. However, I realized that I needed to stick through it if I wanted to advance in my studies. Now that the semester is approximately at is end, I am pleased that I did not drop this course. I feel that my writing skills have rapidly matured. I am aware that I have many flaws in which I need to work on but now I have developed wisdom of understanding how to pick up on them a bit sooner. This class educated me on how to brainstorm and narrow down my ideas. This method allows me to have an organized and consistent approach on how to attack an essay. The following pieces of writing that I am going to share with you will provide an insight on how my writing has evolved.

My first essay was by far my favorite essay. The first piece of writing is my memoir, which is called “ I made it”. In this composition I talk about one of my passions, which is basketball and a moment where I had to prove how much I really wanted it. One of the hardest things I had to deal with when writing this essay was to remember all the details, dialogue, exact days and times. Regardless of this concern I was able to express myself and complete my essay. The second essay that I decided to use for my portfolio was my annotation essay. In this essay I spoke about the Internet and social media, specifically Facebook and the dangers of it all. I titled this essay the “the real enemy”. The reason being is because we might not be aware of what we really get into or put ourselves in. In this essay I give evidence to support this matter.

My last and final essay is a research essay. I choose to speak about gun control in the United States. I used citations from different articles to also help support my ideas. Overall, I am very thankful and appreciate the professor’s effort in teaching and showing us various different writing which helped improve my writing skills; skills that I am going to take with me to other English classes.

Ramon Quinonez